Pests to be aware of in autumn
Insect pests can affect your pasture and crop yield and your budget.
By carefully monitoring the pests on your farm and tracking the conditions that might allow them to thrive, you could reduce their impact on your yield.
In the coming seasons, your farm could encounter:
- Redlegged earth mite (RLEM)
- Lucerne flea
- African black beetle (ABB)
- Slugs and snails
The first step to managing pests is to correctly identify them. Incorrectly identifying pests can result in damage to plants, wasted pesticides and the loss of beneficial insects.
Once identified, specific management strategies can be applied to avoid economic losses.
General management strategies that may help decrease pest pressure on your farm include weed and grazing management, rotating crops, control sprays and endophytes.
- Effective pest management requires action at the right time of the year
- Familiarise yourself with the pests that might damage your pasture
- Monitor your pasture closely
- Use the right control method for the right pest