All dairy farmers going into summer
Many farmers are looking to make up some ground heading into the warmer months. Whether you're looking to make the most of the season, rebuild equity, or consolidate, Dairy Australia has created resources tailored for you.
PLANNING AND BUDGETING
- Back of the envelope feed budget
- Feed budgeting tool (spreadsheet)
- Stock water planning
- Stock water supply risk assessment tool (spreadsheet)
- Planning your summer cropping
COW HEALTH AND PRODUCTIVITY
- Drinking water access and quality - are they limiting cow productivity and health?
- Your herd’s milk production curve – its shape is up to you
- Feeding supplements - marginal milk responses and $ returns
- Designing balanced milker diets that maximise milk income minus feed cost
- Observing and quantifying cow signs
- Keeping cows on the curve when changing diets
- Keeping cows cool and on the curve during the hot months
- Keeping your young stock on their growth curve
Boost your chances of success by:
- Optimising milk production levels to maximise your milk income minus feed costs;
- Utilising home-grown feed (if available) together with profitable, efficient use of supplements;
- Targeting high peak milk yields for spring-calved cows and ensuring these cows stay on the optimum lactation curve.
In this video, Feedbase and nutrition lead, Ruairi McDonnell and dairy consultant, Steve Little discuss stock water planning for summer.